FanStory.com - Midnight Mountainby Gypsy Blue Rose
A Short Story for the Little WorkShop of Horrors Club
Midnight Mountain by Gypsy Blue Rose

Running With Wolves was the Brave Crow Chief’s daughter.  She was a fierce woman warrior born of a long Mohican Chiefs bloodline.    None of the male warriors came close to her hunting skills and bravery. Her father expected her to be the tribe’s chief after he died.  He prepared her for the demanding and challenging position since she was a little girl but it was easy because she was a natural-born leader, fearless and wise for her age.  

Running With Wolves loved to explore the land.  Her favorite pastimes were hiking and climbing mountains … the higher the better.  She was a skillful hunter who was well known for her stealthiness and archery skills. There was one mountain that most warriors avoided climbing.  The elders in her village told scary tales about the cursed Midnight Mountain in the Raccoon Ridge. It was the highest one in their land.

She lived for overcoming challenges and when she heard her tribe’s shaman's warnings against climbing Midnight Mountain she made it her top priority.  She thought it was going to be a worthwhile and exciting quest.

One of the elders' tales was about Mother Moon and her Children Clouds who lived at the mountain's peak.  The truth was that the spirits were benevolent, and the curse was a myth meant to scare the tribe's children. Running With Wolves didn’t want to believe such stories but the little girl in her was afraid.  However, her father had taught her to overcome fears by facing them head-on.

The night was cool and the sky was sprinkled with clouds.  She felt blessed for all the gifts Mother Nature provided. The crickets and white owls serenaded her and she was content.  Invigorated by the crisp air and fresh eucalyptus scent, Running With Wolves free-climbed the mountain with a well-paced speed. 

As she reached the steep rocky peak of Midnight Mountain, she was engulfed with moist clouds and a shining full moon. She fell on her knees and prayed to the Great Spirit, Wauntht Mennitow, to help her climb down to a nearby place to wait for help.  They found her in a cave unharmed with white, milky eyes.

 
 
 
 
 

Author Notes
This week's event for the Little Workshop of Horrors is a short story (300 words or more). The story has to use this phrase: "They found her in a cave unharmed with white, milky eyes".

Thanks to Patrick Bernardy for creating the event and leading our club this week.

Thank you for reading and reviewing my story.

Gypsy

Pictures from my Pinterest account. Poems and presentations by Gypsy Blue Rose @copyright2024

Raccoon Ridge, officially named Mount Mohican, is a peak of the Kittatinny Mountains in Warren County, New Jersey. The mountain stands 1,580 feet above sea level. It lies along the Appalachian Trail in Worthington State Forest. Raccoon Ridge

for mohicans history click here

P''hanim wachpaschesak (woman warrior).

Mohican mythological figures = Waunthut Mennitoow means "Great Spirit" in the Mohican language, and is the most common name used for the Creator (God.)

     

© Copyright 2024. Gypsy Blue Rose All rights reserved.
Gypsy Blue Rose has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement